Saturday, April 30, 2011

And then...

....it hit me like a sledgehammer.
My kid is called a geek back home, like apparently the other kids in his group as well, I never realized that, it was never an issue.
But here he apparently is amongst his peers, they all get each-others jokes, they only need half a word to understand each-other.
As we are in this huge stadium-ballroom waiting for "some adult people to stop talking" ( as the kids see it), these talking heads are actually starting to make sense to me.

They, the FLL, tried to make science look hot and happening, and it actually worked.
Here in this giant dome, with thousands of people into this robot-stuff, the biomedical engineering and robotics-challenges are considered "über-cool".
Here the ability to compete at a cerebral level is celebrated.
From Kinder-garden to college, four competitions, from all over the world, kids in all kinds of weird outfits, having a ball, because they live, love and learn.
It is pushed to the level of grand sports here, with the most powerful muscle possible involved: the brain.
Here the ability to think and possibly improve other peoples lives is seen as important.
Wil-I-Am and the Black Eyed Peas performed here last night...not my cup of tea but not even the Superbowl had that privilege!
Next year the challenge in bio-engineering will be about food technology, how to prevent contamination for instance, which is also meant to keep people safe.

I was not sure if I would do this ever again, not that my son has these doubts...and ideas are already bubbling up, so if he and his team pull this off once more and he wants to go...I will comply..
Besides: I am so humbled and amazed by my kid!
Here my kid is part of a bigger thing than just being smart and a little bit shy.
Here he is considered a significant part of the future.
As our kid is considered a nerd back home, here he is part of a cult, a phenomenon.
This whole show...it is all very American, very OTT, but I am falling for it like a log, I now actually even think it all is "kind a cool"....

2 comments:

  1. Team WIT:

    Congratulations on being at the FIRST Robotics World Festival to represent Netherlands! We (Team Phantom of the LEGOs from St Louis, MO) were very happy to be your host and get to know your team.

    Your children are winners for being a part of this huge event. It was our team's first time at a FIRST World event also and it was fun even just to watch.

    My team members in the U.S. are called "nerds" also - they feel that is a compliment. They enjoy science and technology and it is great to see them have fun with it. They could be our future scientists and invent great things for the world.

    Good luck next year (it starts again in a few days). We hope to see you again next year at the FIRST World Festival or maybe we will get an invite to the European Open (this year it is at TU Delft) and get to visit your team.

    Again Congratulations on your exciting week in St Louis. We'll keep in touch.

    Coach Ron
    FLL Team Phantom of the LEGOS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ron!

    Thank you so much for your hospitality! I never got the chance to meet you, but from here I would like to thank you on behalf of my son and the rest off the teams parents! It was a great week and Saint Louis is in our hearts for ever!
    And thank you for all the sweets on behalf of the rest of the kids from our school!, who will be very impressed with it: An American-Candy Party is scheduled now! :)
    I hope to meet you one day and welcome you in our hometown on that occasion!

    With kindest regards,
    Marion.

    ReplyDelete