Saturday, March 26, 2011

You know?

"There's a few things you should really do! You should go to a game, or dine outside on the riverbank. You sure could go shopping!, the town is definitely bigger than Nijmegen, it's warmer, you'll like it..."
The more I think and read about Saint Louis, the more I anticipate.
I knew it was the Gateway to the West, were the buffalo's were traded and riverboats domineered the inland-trade.
I knew it once hosted the WorldFair in 1904.
It was where the largest Hooverville was, but that is probably not what the city boasts about, though I have to say that to me that is as fascinating as any tourist attraction; Historian, go figure...
Friends visited the city before and showed me pictures.
It's what you expect from a town that grew extremely fast; long, straight, broad streets, high
square buildings, some sort of Capitol in the centre of town...

I wonder if there are many bookshops, what the people are like.
We are going to America.
The America of Toddlers and Tiara's and fastfood.
But also the America of Jazz, the Melting Pot, of a nation of nations...
Even if for all I care the whole event could take place in a town near to here, because I will not be outside a lot, the whole idea of being there in a few weeks time is none the less pretty powerful stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment